Tuesday 11 November 2008

Monday 6 October


For the first time, I get to visit the Elizabeth Finn Care offices in Derry Street to talk about ways in which I might help publicise the work of the charity.

It’s a bit complicated getting there. The office seems to be past the loading bay for some large shops and round a corner, but I find it eventually. I am surprised at how large the operation seems to be! Occupying a whole floor of a large office building - most of it open plan - staff are clustered into groups of activity with some private offices for senior staff around the outside of the main work area. Despite having spoken to her on numerous occasions, I still do not manage to meet my caseworker, as she is not there that afternoon!

In the same week, my television gives up the ghost after 15 years of service. Nobody seems to repair TVs these days, so I have to get a replacement one. The price comes as a shock: £399 for one that is large enough for me to actually see something on the screen. However, the price includes a 5-year guarantee and a nice man coming around to set it up for me.

This is where Elizabeth Finn Care comes to the rescue. I request a £400 allocation from my special needs grant; the cheque arrives a couple of days later and I am soon back viewing. I hope and pray that other pieces of equipment in my flat - such as the 15-year-old washing machine that has started to make a funny noise - does not also pack up this year!

No comments: