Tuesday 11 November 2008

Monday 10 November

It’s been a stupendous week for anyone interested in politics with one of the most exciting US elections for years, and a victory for the Democrat, Barack Obama.

On election night itself, I lay in bed listening to the coverage on the radio - switching between Radio 4 and Radio 5 Live - depending on how my mood was taking me. Eventually James Naughtie's droning interminable questions sent me off to sleep, but fortunately I woke up again just in time to hear Obama’s acceptance speech. Another great demonstration of his amazing powers of oratory in an almost Churchillian way, and which certainly moved me. I am sure the new US administration will have far reaching effects all over Europe.

The following day I see yet another new psychiatrist. Somewhere in “the system” there’s a Consultant who I never get to see and instead I deal with a succession of Registrars, all of whom last for a year before being moved on to another hospital. It’s very frustrating that these relationships are so transitory because it takes a while to build up trust and get to know a new doctor. I raise this issue with the new one, who seems pleasant enough although it takes me a while to get used to his accent. He suggests that maybe my expectations of the NHS are too high and that I possibly have sado-masochistic tendencies, as I seem to enjoy having a moan! I’m left wondering whether there might be some truth in all this – clearly a subject to raise with my psychotherapist next time I see her.

More frustration with the NHS arises when I try to book an appointment to see my GP. I am told that there are no appointments available at all and to call back in a couple of days, when a new booking period may have been opened up. When I do so there is still nothing with my own doctor, so I end up with an appointment several weeks away with a new doctor who has joined the practice. It seems ridiculous that the only way round the situation is to use the book on day arrangements for people who need to see somebody that day … and I prefer not to clog the system up.

On a brighter note, a friend of mine entertains me to a rare treat and takes me to see a film. The film comes complete with audio description and seats right at the front of the theatre; this ensures we are very close to the screen so I can follow the action. It turns out to be a preview screening of a new Meryl Streep movie to be released at the end of the month. I feel even more privileged as it’s a small movie theatre in the West End without all the adverts and trailers - and not a bit of popcorn in sight or sound!!

We go for a drink afterwards to catch up on things. As he’s someone I know well, there is not the usual embarrassment of having to ask to be guided to the toilets. We both have a giggle over the disabled toilet being located at the bottom of a steep and precarious staircase!!

No comments: